Since our sophomore English class when Ms. Diana managed to get a word in and discuss our thoughts on our generation based on the novel "Generation Me" by Jean M. Twenge. Hearing how narcissistic me and my peers are made me feel both ashamed for my generation and question the truth in it all.
The New York Times Article on our Why-Worry Generation felt more appropriate for the way I know my friends and peers. I'm not saying my friends don't worry, trust me they do..but I think as a whole it represents us better. And who's not to say that Generation Me and Generation Why-Worry are not correlated at all. Perhaps our narcissism has in turn led us to depend on our grandeur to protect us from all form of adversity. Or perhaps our low stress view of life has been confused with egocentricity. Either way, I think it is a positive attribute. A few years, I read an article about the happiest country on Earth..Denmark. Why Denmark? Because apparently they have extremely low expectations. With no expectation, success is inevitable. With success comes happiness. So our generation might very well be heading in the right direction.
ps. sorry if some of my grammar/spelling is horrendous. My brain in slightly fried.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Quite frankly, I think you have an amazing generation--quite open, which is an issue that both "Generation Me" and "The Why-Worry Generation" touch upon. I agree with the optimism comment, too....
ReplyDelete